Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Afriad of Love in Cyberland

With my severe lack of success on the dating scene lately, an empathetic coworker has been trying to convince me to take my search for The One to the World Wide Web. While I’m usually down for whatever healthy avenues I have to combat loneliness, I cringe every time he makes the suggestion. For one thing, I am truly a self-proclaimed diva. As such, I have a hard time using online tactics as if they were my last resort. And then again, I’m scared of the Internet dating scene. We all read way too much crazy shit in the media for me to feel confident that some dude in cyberspace is going to mean me any good.

Case in point was when I first started this blog. I decided to promote it in the Yahoo Member Directory by creating a public profile. I don’t think I used any personal information at all. I said that I was Black, in my 30s, and wanted to be a writer—pretty much the same as my profile on this site. I’d say within five minutes of clicking save to make this profile public, my Yahoo Instant Messenger started lighting up like the Fourth of July. The various introductions from these wannabe suitors went like this…

“Do you ever date married men?”

“Can I come see you?”

“What are you wearing?”


Needless to say, that public profile lasted about five minutes. Damn. These fools are truly foolish indeed!

But just so that nobody can accuse me of not giving it a serious try, I did a “sneak holla” on BeautifulTalker.

First, here’s the background. When I first published my blog, I got a comment from a London-based gentleman named BeautifulTalker who said, “Your verb skills are hot!” I was elated, especially since this was just the beginning. So, I sent BeautifulTalker a Yahoo Instant Message invitation so that we could chat.

We finally did several weeks later. I had already checked out his profile, and had seen the picture of him on his site. He looked intriguing to me, and he seemed nice enough. None of that “what are you wearing” shit at all. It was just strictly blogging talk. After a few lines of niceness, I threw in my “sneak-tip-holla”…it was something casual, but I called him a hottie, nonetheless.

BeautifulTalker just went on chatting like I hadn’t just given him a compliment. So after a few more lines, I said, “You just conveniently ignored my hottie comment.”

He said, “I didn’t ignore it. I just smirked and then looked over at my missus.”

Damn…BeautifulTalker has a woman, ya’ll!

So, since The Missus was around, the rest of the chatting went on as G-Rated as it was in the beginning. I told him to give a “You Go Girl” to The Missus, and we ended it there.

Oh well, I gave it a try…at least as much of a try as I’m going to give it. Besides, I have a nice new man in my world, and he is diligently restoring my faith in the opposite sex.

But, if you haven’t checked out BeautifulTalker, go and see his many sites (I think he’s got about five). He’s a cool cat, and he’s apparently good to The Missus because he wouldn’t even betray her in cyberspace with someone who lives oceans away. He gives hope to single women everywhere!

BeautifulTalker, you betta do tha damn thang, boy! Smooches!

And While I'm At It...
Shouts out to Miss Saidy!
Shouts out to Miss Ang!
Shouts out to Da Geek Thug!


Peace!

12 Comments:

At 7:07 PM, Blogger Chandira said...

Hey! I'd like to give you a bit more hope here... I had a long few months on the net with my man, before we really got together, he lived in Seattle, me in England. I ended up moving to Seattle! We got hitched after 3 months, it's still going strong.. We met in Seattle, I was on vacation, but nonetheless, we made it! I spent 10 days with him, we'd pretty much decided it was serious after the first few days.. It can happen! Have a little faith. :-)
Happy blogging..

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Matt the Hat said...

I moderate on a small art and litriture site and a prime gripe (in the rant section tucked neatly out of the way in the imflamitory dept out of view of the general public with politics and so forth) is from the women who get propositioned by males "all the time". I also know the reverse grip that men get less attention for site than women.

The sad truth is that there are a lot of people with no-one and nothing. Humans get pritty raw and gritty (and overly hopefull) when they have nothing to lose and never have to look at the other.

I understand that some of the meet 'n' greet sites based on location are great for making new friends. After all the best romance comes from friendship (or have I lead a charmed life?).

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger jiri said...

This is a excellent blog. Keep it going.

This may be of interest to you I have a free online dating service. It pretty much covers dating stuff.

I'll be sure to come back.

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger freestuff2 said...

Hey I just love your blog. I also have a african american single web site
blog/site. I mostly deals with african american single web site
Please come and check it out if you get the time!

 
At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
I like your story.
But you'd better take a look here to find a really DIFFERENT dating site.
Looks amazing, agree? :-)
You can also find my pics and more about me on my page www.livedatesearch.com/jessica
Read more about me or drop me a message from there.
Chao!
Jessica

 
At 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watiti.com
Join me and my circle of friends at http://www.watiti.com, an online social networking community that connects people from all over the world.

Meet new people, share photos, create or attend events, post free classifieds, send free e-cards, listen music, read blogs, upload videos, be part of a club, chat rooms, forum and much more!

See you around! Bring all your friends too!

Watiti.com

 
At 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watiti.com
Join me and my circle of friends at http://www.watiti.com, an online social networking community that connects people from all over the world.

Meet new people, share photos, create or attend events, post free classifieds, send free e-cards, listen music, read blogs, upload videos, be part of a club, chat rooms, forum and much more!

See you around! Bring all your friends too!

Watiti.com

 
At 11:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

russian seeking woman

 
At 6:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

single site

 
At 3:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

calculus of a single variable

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Free Online Dating on YourDatingTube.com said...

Check this free online dating on YourDatingTube.com its totally free!

YourDatingTube.com is a new unique and innovative free dating site. We offer you the following services: free emails (send and receive), forums, blogs, polls, eCards, rate photos, videos, chat rooms, IM and more matchmaking tools for singles.

Visit us at Free online dating on YourDatingTube.com

 
At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo, what necessary phrase..., an excellent idea

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

«xBlogxPhilesx»

Blogcritics: news and reviews

< < blackblogz > >



Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Registered!

Listed on BlogShares